Monday, June 23, 2008

Sorry for the lack of posts this month ...

... but as most of you know, it has been quite a busy month for The Guthrie's especially me, who will have travelled more than 4,000 miles back and forth across the country (From Ca to TX and back, from CA to AZ and back, from CA to IL and NOT back...) so the family blog has been a little neglected! So, here are some photos of what has been going on with the Gang...

Eating our last bits of Golden Spoon frozen yogurt! There is no GS in Pensacola, yikes! I'll miss my cake batter!

A peek around the house before the movers come ...


The last night in the house was interesting. We didn't want to get any dishes dirty since they would be back the next day (Wednesday June 18), so we ate pizza and tried not to disturb the piles of pictures, dishes and other stuff that was going to be moved. The boys took it all in stride.

Packing up the entire house (and garage!) was a chore I was glad I did not have, but there was still plenty of work to do, like bathing the dogs, cleaning up the yards and separating stuff that was being moved by the movers from the stuff I was taking in the trainer with me and stuff that was staying in our storage unit in California.

Before we headed off to the going away party Peter and Nan Paturzo had for us Saturday afternoon, I insisted we get a quick photo of the three Ford Explorer owners. Dad gave up his Hummer for a more affordable 1999 4WD sport model; Mom has had her 2001 since she ordered it, and my "black sheep" 2007 model.

The boys sleeping at Grandma and Grandpa's house ... soundly if not a little oddly...

On the road...
I left California Sunday morning, with my first leg of the cross-country trip ending in Flagstaff, Arizona, the city of my alma mater, Northern Arizona University. I was going to call my college friend Keli, but I am glad I didn't as Slade had to be taken to the vet that night with what turned out to be congenital heart failure. I had been told three days earier when he had his annual exam that he had a slight heart murmur. Apparently, the high altitude aggravated his condition, reducing thr amount of oxygen his heart could pump to his organs and they started to shut down. After two hours and $290 later, he is perkier and will hopefully make as full a recovery as an 11-year-old boxer can. Here he is recovering last night:
Today was the drive from Flagstaff to Amarillo, Texas. I really had wanted to take a quick cruise around the NAU campus so I could see how much it has changed since I went to school there, but since Slade's condition was kicked off by the high altitude, I wanted to get him "off the mountain" as quickly as possible. We were on the road by 8 a.m.
I was surrounded in both New Mexico and Texas with thunderstorms, complete with lightning. Fortunately, it only rained lightly on me as I drove.

Tonight I had some time to play with the dogs, not something I get to do as often as I'd like. Marble ate a full dinner tonight (she's got a nervous stomach, so she won't eat if she is out of routine) so she was quite playful and frisky. I think traveling agrees with her. Ripley thinks he is a lap dog, but at 70 pounds, he just doesn't fit. During this quick photo session, Ripley was more interested in curling up in my lap than anything else. I did get a few with the exhausted Slade, he liked butting the side of his head against mine.





Off to Missouri tomorrow. I'll try to add more photos soon!

No comments: