Sunday, June 17, 2012

Garage sales, degrees, helmets and more!

Although it appears no one has read my latest posts since the kids are not with me (I know the real reason you guys stalk the blog now!) I figured I would add some photos that have been on Facebook, since I know some of you aren't on Facebook.

Since the kids left for Illinois, Rodney and I have been very much focused on getting pack and ready for the move to Japan. While it has been a weeks-long process, everything is moving faster now, and seems to be happening all at once. The house is 90 percent organized and in different piles: Storage (with a storage company), Advanced shipment (about 1,000 pounds of stuff to camp out in a home once we get one - we should get this in Japan by August 1), personal property shipment (the main shipment that could take months to get to us) and the stuff we are taking with us on the planes in suitcases and backpacks.

There was also a fifth pile, the garage sale pile, which has since be sold or donated. We had a garage sale Friday and Saturday morning. Here is what the yard looked like yesterday (Sat.).



We did pretty well, making almost $1,600. We still have some of the furniture items left that we are trying to sell on Craigslist, and my car, which has had three people inquire, but the 103K miles seems to be turning people off. Unfortunately, we still owe money on the car, so there is a limit to how low I can go, but I don't want a car payment for a car half a world away either. I hope that, and what we are going to do with Marble, works itself out in the next couple of weeks. We still don't have a plan for our 14-year-old geriatric dog and it breaks my heart. Here's a photo I took in the kitchen on Friday of her waiting for a cookie.


My degree came in the mail this week. So, it is official... I hold a Master of Arts degree in Strategic Communication and Leadership from the University of West Florida. Here is a photo of me holding it:


And, on a lighter note, Rodney and I are going out and having some fun. We went and saw Men in Black 3 and Rock of Ages, both of which we enjoyed. We went shopping at Target for some storage bins, etc., and Rodney tapped in to his inner Avenger for a moment.


No comments: