Sunday, May 12, 2013

What I've been up to lately...

I have always wanted to do a pinup photo shoot, so with the lost of 50-plus pound in the past 9 months, and that the excellent local photographer, Danielle Caceres, was leaving the area, I figured I would be a part of her last photo shoot on April 28 in Iwakuni. You may have seen the "date night" photos that I posted in the last blog post. Well, here are the reasons for the hair and makeup I had that night:




















I had a job interview with MCCS Marketing on May 1 and was offered the job the next day. Within the same 24 hours I spoke to Danielle, the photographer who did my pinup shoot, and who is moving this month, and she convinced me a might be a good idea to resurrect my photography skills and do portrait photography here in Iwakuni. After talking it over with Rodney, and spending a sleepless weekend pondering my future, I turned the MCCS job down, hopefully without burning any bridges with the great people there, and without regretting the steady paycheck, and have decided to pursue a photography career while here in Japan. I've bought the URL jessicaguthriephotography.com and have reviewed LOTS of photography tips to remind me of what I learned nearly two decades ago while earning my photojournalism degree, about f-stops, depth of field and lighting, but that's about it so far.


Rodney's unit's commanding officer came to town, and here is a photo of the group who went to dinner, also on May 1. After my interview, but before the dinner, I took the CO's wife to the Kintai Bridge area of Iwakuni to look around. May 1 was a very busy day!


I decided that it was time to cut my hair. I was tired of it getting caught under my armpits. Plus, I had already done my pinup photo shoot and it was starting to get warm in Iwakuni, which means the humid heat of summer is on its way. This was a photo I took in may car right after my appointment May 9.


I had 14 inches cut off of it. I am trying to donate it somewhere, but because it is highlighted many of the charity organizations won't take it.


 Yesterday I found a cute, $6, brand-new, tags-still-on, size 12 dress at the thrift store here on base. I took it into the dressing room to see how much more weight I would need to lose and, lo and behold, it fit! It was a very happy day for me!


No comments: