Sunday, April 25, 2010

A weekend without plans...

Will's Saturday baseball game was cancelled due to rain, so we had an entire unplanned weekend to ourselves... a rare treat! So, we ate breakfast at Waffle House and then headed downtown. I needed to pick up a ring from the jeweler. My grandmother had given in it to me for my 29th birthday (my grandpa gave it to her in the early 80s) and the blue topaz has fallen out four times. I have been very lucky to have found the stone each time, but I knew my luck would run out at some point, so I asked the jeweler to secure it n an attractive way. While it's definitely not as clean and simple as the original setting, I hope that that setting will stay intact.


After going to the jeweler, we headed a few blocks over to the T.T. Wentworth Jr. Museum, a museum established more than 50 years ago to display pieces of Pensacola's history. The building was originally built in 1907 as Pensacola's City Hall.


I did not get to really soak it all in like I would have liked because I had two midgets and a husband with me, but there were definitely some interesting facts about Pensacola I hadn't known before. The museum also had a great children's play area on the third floor, with a play fort, sailing ship hull, Indian village, general store and house. The boys really enjoyed dressing up and checking it all out.





Will really enjoyed this general store - he will make a great shopkeeper!

Will was appalled at the uncomfortable rope-and-thin-mat mattress that people had to sleep on in the 1700s. "My spine! My spine!"

Xan loved the wooden rifles, of course,. The cannon was pretty cool, too, but another kid their comandeered it for most of the time we were playing. The fort play area had rubber rats. I am not sure if they were there as dinner, or what, but Rodney wanted his picture taken with them, so here you go:

Saturday afternoon I discovered that my Mama bird is back! She laid five eggs in the hanging potted plant on my back porch, a different plant from last year, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I am looking forward to watching the nest in the coming weeks.


Today we hung around the house, and depending on who you were, did yard work, cleaned out part of the garage, got scrapbook stuff organized and played Wii. Amber and Tyler Mitchell joined us for dinner and a rousing game of Wii Lego Rock Band. We managed to butcher "Accidentally in Love" incredibly well.


No comments: