Saturday, August 20, 2011

School begins in T-minus 33 hours...

Will and Xan went to Hellen Caro's orientation Friday morning to meet their teachers (Paul, Peggy and I went, too!). Xan has Ms. Williams, who has been a teacher a Hellen Caro for 19 years. Xan was quick to give her hugs and really seemed to like her. Side note: Peg liked her, too. Here is a photo of Ms. Williams and Xan together. He is thrilled he knows how to spell her name already!


Will is in the self-contained gifted program and Mr. Sublett is his teacher. Mr. Sublett was sick on orientation day, although he did call on Thursday afternoon to say how excited he was to have Will in his class. He had heard good things about Will from last year's teachers. Mr. Sublett has taught at Hellen Caro for 9 years and is a retired Marine Corps helicopter pilot. He was also Hellen Caro's teacher of the year two years ago.

The bus driver also called this evening and will be picking up both boys on Monday morning - between 6:15 and 6:20 - yikes! Xan is excited to be riding the bus with his brother - he's been looking forward to this for years.

I met with my teaching mentor today at UWF and think I am geared up for teaching this semester - at least for the first week! Peggy and the boys went with me and got a short tour of the campus. The kids were very inquisitive about how it all worked. They also got to play with the children of my department chair and teaching mentor's children (the Dr. Kellys are married and have three kids: 11 year old girl, 8 year old and 5 year old boys and I have had both as instructors) in the computer lab in the communications building. Peg talked with the male Dr. Kelly for quite some time while I met with the female Dr. Kelly. Confusing, yes, which is why I usually call the female Dr. Kelly by her first name, since that's how I was first introduced to her.

No comments: