Saturday, September 22, 2012

Busy week of odds and ends...

This week was anything but dull. They kids and I got ready for Rodney's arrival home from 29 Palms (he should be home late tomorrow - Sunday - night). Will has been selected to be a reporter for the school news show on Fridays, so he has an hour-long meeting on Mondays after school. I picked Xan up form school this first Monday, even though he was eager to walk home by himself. While the base rules say that he cannot be left alone at our house by himself, he can walk home from school or be on a playground by himself for 2 hours. Something about these rules just don't add up, but that's the Marine Corps for you.

I am working with some other people on base to get an organization started for home-based business owners - everything from crafters like myself, to Pampered Chef consultants to accountants. Our first meeting is Tuesday at lunch, so I wanted to get the news out across base. I figured the best way to do that is via the base radio station and newspaper. Once we got there, the Gunnery Sergeant in charge gave us a tour of the studio, and Xan got to sit at the Armed Forces Network news desk on the sound stage.


Later that night, I brought homeMolly. If you haven't heard how we acquired her, read this blog post. The kids love her, Rodney is tolerating the idea of her, and she has made real progress with bonding with us in just a few days. In fact, she ate watermelon while she was out with us last night. Eating around us means she is feeling more comfortable with us. This is a photo Will took:


Here is a YouTube video of Molly on the move.

The kids have been busy with homework, especially Will, who seems to have atl east an hour of it every night (I wonder if they are accomplishing anything in class!). Xan's homework, so far, has been very easy for him, so he is done in a matter of minutes. He feels like he should be doing something while his brother is doing homework, I so I set him up on Khan Academy and he's been working through the math levels. Here is Will teaching Xan how to read analog clock:


Thursday, they had karate. Here is a video of them playing the "square" game.

I've also been keeping the kids busy cleaning their room and bathroom before their Dad gets home. They weren't thrilled,but they got to go to the high school's homecoming game afterward. They saw the homecoming parade yesterday after school, which went about a square mile around the base's "downtown." They collected a lot of candy and Xan really impressed the football team on one of the floats when he caught the candy they threw at him one-handed.

Side note: There are two black Explorers that I see driving around on base. It makes me miss mine. :( But it'llbe waiting for me in Grandma and Grandpa's garage when I get back.


No comments: