Friday, September 03, 2010

Kids say (and do) the darnedest things...

This morning, I was taking Xan to school, and the following conversation occurred:

"Hey Mom, you need to get net flakes."
"Net flakes?"
"Yeah, net flakes, with movies like Grandma Nancy."
"Oh, Netflix?"
"Yes, net flakes."
"Well, OK, I'll look in to it."
"Well, the first TV won't work, so you'll have to get another one." (This summer, Mom and Dad's TV broke. The first replacement had terrible sound, so they returned it for a second one. This had nothing to do with net flakes.)
"Oh, OK."
"And then you will have to take the red thing and the white thing and the blue thing and the red thing and plug them in. (audio/video cords, I assume) Then you can have net flakes."
"OK, well, I will see what I can do."
"OK, thanks."

******

Tonight at dinner, we were at our favorite restaurant, Cactus Flower, and the boys were on my iPhone, playing the Bubble Wrap game (you hit the bubbles and pop them and the more you pop, the better your score.) They were really getting in to it, and shouted. Rodney told them to be quiet. They said OK. The next game came around and they shouted again.

Rodney: OK, boys. That's enough.
Will and Xan (still staring at the screen, popping bubbles): OK, Dad.
Rodney: No, look at me

Will stops and looks at his Dad.
Xan looks up at his Dad and waits for him to talk... with fingers still popping away.

*****

Will is having a tough time getting acclimated to the more challenging classroom homework, mostly his (much tougher) spelling words.

Me: Will, you need to get on the Internet every night from now on and work on your spelling words.
Will: OK
Me: Because you need to catch up with the rest of the kids. You don't want to be the one left behind do you?
Will: I'm not. There's two other kids who are worse.
Me: Well, OK, but do you want to be at the bottom? Wouldn't you rather be at the top of the class? Or do you really not care.
Will: Mmm... (shrug) I don't really care.
(Rodney and I attempted to hide our laughter at this very honest answer.)
(A few minutes later)
Will: Mom, please don't put that on the blog, that I don't care.
Me: We put the good with the bad on the blog, Will. That's real life.
Will: Ugh. OK.

Will has now been on the Internet working on spelling words for 20 minutes without complaint.

******

Will brought this drawing home from after school care today:



Please note the following:

My "I am smart" T-shirt
Rodney's "I hate home" T-shirt (Will says he meant home base, as in softball)
3D Marble and Ripley
The fact that the front door is open and you can see the couch and sliding glass door.
The front yard landscaping is in full detail.

No comments: